There would be a Pretty Woman moment as I slink out the shop with my fat boobs sagging and my jowls wobbling as I mumble "oh but I have money....." least then I would know where I stood and not be attracted to the bright shiny shop and the happy smiles of the assistants in those big bright corners of glamorous racks style... drawn to them like a moth.. a sad demented.. deluded moth...
It starts the same way as entering any shop when your a big girl. You pretend not to notice the staff as they glance away unsure how to deal with that weird bulge at the front of your jeans, whispers cross the room as they raise their red tinged nails to their plump freshly lipsticked gaunt cheeks and mock your weight and style.
Yet you ignore them, stick out your big titties and stride, ever so jubilantly up to the glowing racks of funky, hip mum to be clothing for the young pregnant woman who wants to remain hot for her man. Cause deep down you know your a MILF. You begin flipping...sliding the coat hangers one by one down the pristine rail as top after top of glorious colours and patterns dance in front of you, humming the Hippo Dance theme from Fantasia.
Your face lighting up and fading as each size tag reflects that of an 8 year old child if it has been starved for a year. Slowly your ego begins to deflate, you clutch your slowly growing belly as you realise that this shop has nothing for you..... everything goes up to a size 14 nothing higher.. even then its an Asian child's bound waist 14 not a proper Aussie chick fed up on meat and three veg kind of 14.
That's when it begins to dawn on you... it almost whispers through the gilded mirrors like your own personal Snow White moment. whispering the truth "You're not the fairest of them all.. but fattest oh yes" gulping down that burgeoning hormonal surge of shame and sadness, you feel tears pricking the edge of your eyes as you quickly grab your husband and dash out of the store mumbling a reply as he asks loudly "Nothing you like hon?"
I learnt a long time ago that a big girl in this world will always have trouble looking the way she would like, be it fashion trends or alternative ones, its always hard to find anything over a 14. Sadly I deluded myself into believing that Maternity would be one area that we would be slightly more accepted... wasn't I ridiculously stupid!
Even stores like Evans, that cater for us overweight girls do not have a maternity section, is it so Taboo.. so shameful to think that big girls get married and have sex? that we would dare choose to... (whisper) procreate?
If I ever won lotto, I would create a chain of stores catering to big girls of all walks of life and include, maternity and bridal wear in the line.. at a cost that everyone can afford.
![]() |
| A little bit of how fab us big girls can be! Courtesy of Daily Mail article |

Great blog
ReplyDeleteI always found my 'big girl' pregnancy buys on ebay. Loads of US clothes there that dot he trick. I also had loads of tops from Evans as luckily at the time the style was to have tops tight at the top and then flowing from under the bust, perfect for a PG tummy.
ReplyDeleteHope you find some nice clothes soon. Mich x
I did manage to find some maternity clothes for my big girl frame in H&M (tops of course, couldn't get my big bum and bump into their trousers) and Simplybe maternity. Its a tricky business trying to not go around in scabby leggings and a nightie all day.
ReplyDelete